Email Communication
Pre-course Schedule Announcement
Sent: Saturday, July 3, 2021
Subject: CEP 956 Fall 2021: Greetings & Important Updates – Pls Reply

Hi Everyone,  

Greetings! I hope your summer is going well. I am THRILLED that you have enrolled in the advanced doctoral course: CEP 956: Mind, Media, & Learning. I am Christine Greenhow, an Associate Professor in the Educational Psychology and Educational Technology (EPET) program within the College of Education, and I will be your course instructor.  I am truly passionate about teaching this course, as you will see.  I am excited to work with you and learn about your different research interests and course and career goals.   

COURSE SCHEDULE
To help you plan ahead for the fall 2021 semester, 
I just wanted to let you know that this evening course will consist of alternating synchronous online class meetings and asynchronous online weeks. This has been the course format for the past few years.  I will continue this virtual format based on feedback I have received from some students regarding pandemic-related concerns.  Thank you for your patience, compassion, and flexibility as we navigate this fall together.  

SAVE-THE-DATE!
First meeting via ZOOM: Wednesday September 1, 2021    6-8:50pm EST 

The course scheduler says we are to meet Wednesday, September 1 this first week when classes begin. We meet on alternating Mondays after that, except during the last two weeks we will have back-to-back synchronous meetings. 

**NOTE: We will meet SYNCHRONOUSLY via Zoom. On campus students do not need to come to campus. 

SCHEDULE FOR FALL 2021 in CEP 956 

To help you plan ahead, this course will contain both synchronous and asynchronous online weeks. We will meet SYNCHRONOUSLY every other week during the 6-8:50pm EST scheduled meeting time.  Students will join the “Whole Class Zoom” on the course website: http://greenhow.educ.msu.edu/cep956fs21/   (*You will be able to login to the course site in August).

On alternate weeks, we will meet ASYNCHRONOUSLY in the online discussion forum and/or synchronously in small groups to work on readings, writing assignment(s) and/or activities. 

Please mark your calendars with this schedule below. More information, such the finalized course website, your login information, syllabus, assignments, etc., will be given to you in August, but for now, I thought it would help you in your fall planning to record these dates.  There is no textbook; all readings downloadable from the course site.

Wednesday, September 1, 6-8:50pm EST 

Course introduction, overview, expectations, assignments “Whole Class Zoom” on the course website: http://greenhow.educ.msu.edu/cep956fs21/ 

Week of September 6-12 

Asynchronous online discussion, new readings, writing/manuscript

Monday, September 13, 6-8:50pm EST   

All students join synchronous online class via Whole Class Zoom on the course website 

Week of September 20-26 

Asynchronous discussion, new readings, writing/manuscript 

Monday, September 27, 6-8:50pm EST  

Week of October 4-10 

Monday, October 11, 6-8:50pm EST 

Week of October 18-24 

Monday, October 25
Fall Break Days – NO CLASS

Monday, November 1, 6-8:50pm EST  

Week of November 8-14      

Monday, November 15, 6-8:50pm EST   

Week of November 22-28    

Monday, November 29, 6-8:50pm  EST 

Monday, December 6, 6-8:50pm  EST  (Final Class) 

**Classes end December 12, 2021 – No Class Meeting during Exams week **

Participation, synchronous and asynchronous, is a big part of this course. Another course goal is your production of a submission-ready manuscript for a journal which is based on your own research interests and developing area(s) of expertise. We will spend time each week talking about key steps in the publishing process and the course will scaffold your writing of a manuscript for submission by the course’s end. Previous students have really appreciated this component of the course and been very successful in publishing their articles. I will share with you a list of these authors/articles when we meet. 

Please let me know in advance if you have any conflicts. Please also let me know if you have never used Zoom video-conferencing. No experience is required, but I would like to know if this technology is new to you.  

Please “Reply” to this email so that I know you have reviewed this email. 

Thank you and have a great holiday weekend! 

Chris

Share →